2.13.2009

I should have been a cowboy...pretending it's Monday

Last night (Sunday really, but we're pretending it's Monday) I went to the Dixie National Rodeo in Jackson with my family.
And I mean FAMILY.
All of them. (well, minus Cole, Tia, Uncle Bobby, and the Sevin sisters)


My cousin Lindsey is Miss Dixie National.
This is Lindsey with my sister. I bet you can guess which is which.

She is amazing. She knows more about horses and livestock than I will ever know, and she's only 17. Sooooo, the entire Bishop clan gathers together to support her. We watch and cheer our butts off as she rides in gracefully on her horse, sparkly shirt and all. She waves and beams a smile that will knock you on your seat, truly. Now, I have ridden a horse before, several times actually. At one point in my life I actually knew how to saddle one myself (there is more to it than you think). However, I never could manage feel steady on those animals at a higher rate of speed than a walk. Once the horse would start that bouncy trot thing, I was flopping all over the place like grandma arm fat. (Sorry, had to. One of my little cousins used to do this to Nanny. She'd come up and jiggle the fatty part of the arm and laugh so hard. Ah the memories...)

I love the rodeo. I like the smells, the sounds, and the glory of a good 'ole American cowboy. I want to live out West, on the prairie with miles and miles of grass, cows, horses, and sunset. I love it. The idea of this gives me a sense of peace. Fresh air and the the thought of being away from the busyness makes my heart smile.
I've been reading a blog called Pioneer Woman. I love her. I want to be her. Or at least live with her. She has this kind of "cowboy" life of which I dream. She is moving from way before sunup to I'm sure way after sundown, but her life is so glamorous to me. She cooks in an extraordinary kitchen, home schools her children, and takes AMAZING photographs of her glorious surroundings.
Since neither the husband nor I are especially knowledgeable of oh, I don't know, horses, ranching, cattle, or gardening, this life is pretty much out of the picture for me.

Gosh how I love it though!

In honor of my dreams of being a cowboy or at least prairie woman, I decided to make some Mexican Casserole. This recipe came from a sweet lady who often feeds a slew of real-life cowboys on a regular basis. It's easy and delicious! I served it with corn, and if you are like me and like crunchy food, grab a bag of salty corn chips too (not Fritos though, yuck!).

Mexican Casserole
2 pounds of hamburger meat
1 chopped onion1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can Enchilada sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 pound of Velveeta cheese (sliced)
1 can ranch style beans
flour tortillas

1. Brown meat and onion (drain)
2. In a separate bowl, mix beans, soups, and enchilada sauce
3. Mix in onion and meat.
4. Layer tortillas and sliced cheese in a casserole dish.
5. Pour 1/2 of meat mixture on top.
6. Place another layer of tortillas and cheese on the meat mixture.
7. Pour remaining meat mixture on top.
8. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?